History and Heritage

Ynysydarren Sunday School

In the mid 1920s, Gurnos Chapel opened a second Sunday school at Ynysydarren House for the children of the Council Houses on that side of Ystalyfera.

From the Labour Voice newspaper, Saturday July 10th 1926:-

Gurnos Chapel have established a branch Sunday School at Ynisydarren House for the convenience of children residing in Council Houses, and the innovation has already proved a distinct success over 50 scholars already attending. It is interesting to note that the room in the old house used as a classroom is the late Mr Palmer Budd's dining room. The surroundings at this old spot are delightful. The superintendents are Mr William John Griffiths, secretary of the church, and Mr D R Jones (Pencerdd Cynlais); secretary, Mr George J Lambert, and the lady superintendent Miss Bronwen WIlliams.

The History and Heritage of Ystalyfera is put online by Swansea Valley researcher Val Trevallion and Wolfian Design. All copyright remains with the original copyright holder, and all original research is copyright Val Trevallion, YEARGroup.

You can contact Ystalyfera History by emailing: contact@ystradgynlais-history.com or Val Trevallion by emailing yeargroup@hotmail.co.uk.